Tuesday, October 28, 2014

From Divergent to Insurgent and beyond...

I am so excited about the Divergent series! Now that I am in the second book, Insurgent, I am even more engrossed in the story line because all of the twists and turns are new and unknown to me. I am on Chapter 33 of the second book and I steal glances at the book cover whenever I am unable to read (like right now). At the top of the cover is the phrase: "One choice can destroy you." Every time I read it, I wonder - Have I already read about this destructive choice? If so, which choice was it? I feel like the main character, Tris, has made so many bad decisions in this second book. With each fault in judgment, I mentally call out to her: "No! Don't do it!" My pleas make little difference as author Veronica Roth takes us both down the cascade of falling dominoes, with each poor decision resulting in another terrible dilemma.

Even now, I am resisting the urge to read. Please understand why. Tris is currently being held captive by the Erudite. Her own remorse and responsibility led her to this prison and I am wondering how she will emerge from this dire situation! I feel as if turning the pages of this text will expidite her freedom and that I am somehow responsible for the length of her captivity because I am not able to devote every waking moment to reading. I am sorry, Tris.

Reality calls me away from the book through piles of laundry, classrooms of disadvantaged students, moments with my family, and stacks upon stacks of college assignments. Still, I have stollen time to read this intriguing novel. While my husband's sausage fries in the morning, I sneak in ten minutes. While the hot water builds for my shower, I sneak in few more pages. Although I have had to devote my lunch period now toward the preparation of finals in three of my classes, I have pulled myself away from my studies every evening for at least thirty minutes of reading before I collapse on my pillow. I am tired, but not too tired to read! I have been able to read for 45 minutes everyday despite my bulging schedule.

I have even taken the advice of The Book Whisper's author, Donalyn Miller, and have become a reader who plans ahead. One of my middle school students has loaned me the Legend series by Marie Lu to read next. First, however, I must rescue Tris!

No comments:

Post a Comment