Thursday, October 23, 2014

Giving up on King - Embracing Roth

"Readers choose what to read and when to stop reading a book that doesn't live up to its potential." ~ Donalyn Miller, The Book Whisperer

I claimed my right as a reader and put Cell back on the shelf where it belonged! While I am prone to keep most of my books, I will be taking this one back to The Book Bug for a store credit. My experience with this book was not wasted, however. I learned that in order for me to really enjoy a book, I must be able to relate to the characters in some way. Now, that does not mean that the main character and I must have numerous personality traits in common. Instead, it simply means that I need to be able to connect in some way to the character's life, struggle or thought patterns. I found such a character in Veronica Roth's book, Divergent.

The Divergent series was another recommendation from one of my students. When the book fair rolled into our school's library and the entire trilogy was displayed proudly on one of the shelves, the hand of fate reached into my purse and pulled out $40.00 to pay for the three beckoning books. I dove into the first book immediately and experienced so much joy at the contrast between it and my previous book. I may have even sighed as I releshed in the inner thoughts of Beatrice Prior. Now this is a book worth reading!

With my love for reading reignited, finding the time to read came once again with ease. I read an hour every day this week during my lunch and free period. I read another 30-45 minutes every evening before bed and I stole a few moments of reading this morning while the oven pre-heated to 375 degrees in anticipation for the hot, gooey cinnamon rolls that would emerge from it 18 minutes later.

Again, this is a book that has been turned into a major motion picture and, yes, I have already seen the movie. Don't worry. This fact has served only to drive me to finish this first book quickly so that I can lose myself in the unknown of the next two sequels!      

No comments:

Post a Comment