Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Caught up in Catching Fire - Mesmerized by Mockingjay

Now I remember why I like books so much more than movies. I remember watching the first Hunger Games' movie and thinking, "I wonder what all the fuss was about?" Now that I have read the book, I completely understand. Reading clarified all of my questions about the time line. Reading helped me better understand the personal motivations behind the actions of Katniss. Reading helped me see how very much in love with her Peeta truly was. It was so much better than the movie!

In fact, I enjoyed reading about the struggles of Katniss Evergreen so much that I finished the first book, started and ended the second book, and started and ended the third book -- all since my last post! I began to increase my reading time by indulging in an additional 30 minutes during my lunch on days that I was subbing (which has been every day lately). Then, I began sneaking in some reading time when I was pumping fuel at the gas station and again when I was in line at the bank. Before I knew it, I was reading during the Cardinal games and only looking up to check the score when I heard the crowd go crazy. I also started reading every time my husband was driving the car, essentially becoming an inattentive shotgun passenger as his attempts at conversation were answered an unenthusiastic with "Mmm, hmm" or "Uh, huh."

I read when I went to the bathroom. I read before I went to bed at night. I read before I got in the shower in the mornings.  The only time I wasn't reading was when I was working on my required college studies, substitute teaching, caring for my children, or sleeping. I did the math and in eight days, I read a total of 13 hours! Thirteen hours made 90 minutes look like child's play! And, this was the woman who thought she didn't have time to read!!!

In those 13 hours, I finished the series and found myself wishing there was another book left to read. The Hunger Games series honestly captivated me. However, there was also a part of me that was glad I was able to finish the final book so that I could see for myself whether the Cardinals will seize the NLCS and so that I might once again have an engaging conversation with my husband. Who knows? Maybe he enjoyed the silence...

In an effort to continue reading 90 minutes a week, I made my trek back to The Book Bug to see if they might have the Divergent series. I was out of luck. So, I left my number for her to call me should the books turn up and I settled for Stephen King's Cell. I skimmed the protective covering of the book and found the following written on the inside of the back flap: "Stephen King lives in Maine with his wife, the novelist Tabitha King. He does not own a cell phone."

I am about to find out why!

No comments:

Post a Comment