Thursday, October 16, 2014

Cell: I do not like this book...

I read for 60 minutes last night, for 30 minutes this morning (school had a fog delay), and for 60 minutes this afternoon. During this time, I decided that I do not like Stephen King's book, Cell.

Initially, my mind had to adjust to the differences in writing styles. The last three books I read were futuristic but were written from the present tense, solely within the mind of the main character. The narrator was not omniscient and allowed me only to hear the inward contemplations of Katniss Evergreen. Typically, I am not a fan of being told the story as it happens. However, Collins quickly taught me how to walk through the Hunger Games with Katniss and I soon forgot my adversion to this narative choice. You would think that I would be more comfortable with the current writer's style. After all, King's novel is is being told using past tense from third-person with a limited knowledge into the inner-workings of only the main character, Clayton Riddell.

However, I cannot say that the use of my preferencial writing point-of-view has helped me fall in love with this book. In fact, I think I might actually despise the main character. Unlike the kindred spirit I felt with Katniss, I feel no sense of connection with this Mr. Riddell. He is not someone I would want to be friends with. He seems to be self-absorbed, negative thinking, and a despiser of Christianity and perhaps mankind in general. I really don't care to get to know him further.

On the other hand, the story line to this book seems intriuging, which is why I chose it in the first place. It is about an unfortunate side-effect of cell phone usage that essentially leaves mankind in shambles and chaos. But, the tone of the text is so dark and theophobic that enjoying the read is an unattainable endeavor.

I may continue reading it, but only until I find a better book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment