Thursday, December 11, 2014

Prodigy (No, I'm Not Talking About Myself)

The first book of the Legend series is behind me. I am now a fourth of the way through the second book of the trilogy, Prodigy. I must say that when I compare the writing style of Marie Lu with other dystopia writers like Veronica Roth and Suzanne Collins, I find her ability to create complex characters a bit lacking. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the books! The plot is engaging and the moving through such an imaginative setting is intriguing. Still, while I am reading, I am acutely aware of the fact that this is fiction and I am reading a book. When I read both the Hunger Games series and the Divergent series, I became so invested in the characters that I forgot they were the manifestation of an author's imagination. Instead, they became real to me. I would ponder on their dilemmas. I would dream about their plight. I have not encountered this same connection with Day or June. It is the writer from which these characters were birthed that makes the difference.

Still, all of these books have changed me. Really, it has been reading on such a daily basis that has metamorphosed me the most. It has changed how I spend my free time. I watch less television (not that I've had much time for TV, but I haven't missed it either). I play a lot less Candy Crush while waiting at the pharmacy.

It has changed how I interact with people. I find myself craning my head to look at book covers in the hands of strangers. I stop students in the halls at school to ask what they are reading. I catch myself telling people, "Ooh, you're going to love that book!" I have a growing list of book recommendations from fellow avid readers, both young and old.

It has changed how I mother my children. I have been coaxing my six-year-old to read more and more books. He has fallen in love with If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and The Giving Tree and Teach My Dog 100 Words. He has even impressed his grandparents with his oral reading of Where the Wild Things Are. I have been encouraging my fourth-grade daughter to "steal" time to read. She has already read 15 chapter books this school year and has exceeded her Accelerated Reader goal.

Most than anything, however, my love for reading has been renewed. For that, I will be forever thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment